Pigmentation & Uneven Skin Tone - Melasma
Having Melasma problems?
Melasma is a common skin pigmentation problem that is easily diagnosed by recognizing the typical appearance of symmetrical blotchy, dark, irregular and well demarcated hyper-pigmented patches usually found on the cheeks, forehead, nose bridge and chin. Other areas of your body that are often exposed to sun can also develop melasma. These patches often develop gradually over time and do not cause any symptoms apart from cosmetic discolouration.
The exact cause of melasma remains unknown. Several factors that can trigger melasma:
- Family history: People with a genetic predisposition or known family history of melasma are at an increased risk of developing melasma. Asian, Hispanic, and Middle Eastern individuals, have higher incidences of melasma.
- Hormonal changes: Women are more likely than men to get melasma, especially pregnant women ("the mask of pregnancy") and those who are on contraceptive pills or hormone replacement therapy medications. The incidence of melasma also increases in patients with stress and thyroid disease.
- Sun exposure: Ultraviolet (UV) light from the sun stimulates the melanocytes. In fact, just a small amount of sun exposure can make melasma return after fading.
The treatment of Melasma can be varied, depending on its severity. Combination treatment with brightening creams/serums, oral medications and lasers are most effective, but your doctor’s diagnosis, experience in treating the condition, and proficiency with lasers are most important in order to see good results.
TREATMENT AT MY MEDICAL AESTHETICS
At MY Medical Aesthetics, we manage melasma in 3 steps:
- Ascertain the correct diagnosis & evaluate the severity of your condition
- Customize a treatment plan that is suitable for you and your lifestyle
- Regular follow up and monitor your treatment progress to reduce melasma effectively
Before conducting treatment, Dr Lim MY will go through a round history taking and careful assessment on your melasma. Photographs will be taken before each session of treatment to monitor your treatment progress. Upon request, he can show you before/after photos of past work so you have a clearer idea on what results to expect after treatment.
Melasma is known to be difficult to treat and not all cases of melasma will clear up with treatments. Most melasma will lighten or respond well to treatment. However, stubborn cases might take a longer time to lighten. Dr Lim will adjust his treatment plan and laser setting according to your progress and recovery, to optimise treatment results.
Important steps to prevent worsening of melasma include minimising your sun exposure, application of good sunblock daily or wearing protective clothing to avoid stimulating pigment production.
Dr Lim uses a combination of medical-grade creams, oral medications and lasers to treat pigmentations. He will also recommend dietary and lifestyle changes to further enhance his treatment programs.
Dr Lim’s choice of laser
MY Medical Aesthetics uses the Discovery Pico+ Laser that has a few modes including nanosecond and picosecond laser modes, with 3 wavelengths (1064nm, 532nm, and 694nm). When used in conjunction with appropriate settings and treatment intervals, this laser machine can shatter most stubborn pigments into fine dust effectively.
Discovery Pico+ is also a notable choice for Dr Lim because it does not cause excessive heat to the skin surface, of which melasma is very sensitive to.
During laser treatments, Dr Lim emphasises on controlling the laser strength to suit your skin response. Dr Lim’s experience in judging how well your skin type responds to different depths and strength of his lasers, is key to his success in reducing Melasma.
The result is further enhanced by using a combination of medical-grade creams, oral medications, and skin care products.
KEY BENEFITS OF TREATMENT
- Safe treatment protocol to target melasma
- Minimal discomfort during treatment
- Minimal downtime of just a few hours to few days
- Combination therapy at affordable price
I’m Dr Lim Ming Yee and I’ve been in medical practice for 18 years.
I enjoy sharing knowledge on aesthetics and dispelling myths in the industry. Hopefully, my writing can provide useful insights to those who are keen in seeking treatment.
Have questions on fillers or need a professional opinion?
WhatsApp Dr Lim at +65 8128 2292 or email me at email@example.com anytime for answers.