Pigmentation Treatment (Pigmentation Removal Singapore)
Skin pigmentation is caused by overproduction of melanin in the skin. Types of pigmentation may manifest as freckles, sunspots, melasma, and various other conditions. Poor lifestyle choices such as prolonged sun exposure with lack of sun protection, smoking, hormonal changes during pregnancy and menopause, and aging are the main factors that can contribute to abnormal skin pigmentation. Certain medications can also change hormone levels and affect melanin production. People with darker skin tones are prone to hyperpigmentation.
Common methods for treating pigmentation and post inflammatory hyperpigmentation usually involve different types of lasers, laser sessions and occasionally even chemical peels. Specific cases of dark spots, age spots, brown spot and acne scarring can also be effectively treated by an experienced doctor.
Am I a suitable candidate for pigmentation removal treatments in Singapore?
In general, most forms of pigmentations can be treated or can be lightened by using topical creams, sunblock, IPL, lasers, etc. It is crucial to know your past medical history and to do a thorough examination of your skin condition to get the correct diagnosis. It is also crucial to use the correct tools and appropriate settings to get rid of the abnormal pigmentation.
What are the common skin pigmentations in Asian skin type?
- Sunspots – These are also known as solar lentigines. It has a clearly defined edge with an increased number of melanocytes. These are called sunspots because the cause is generally exposure to the harsh UV rays of the sun. Hence, these usually appear around areas that are exposed to sunlight, like the hands and face.
- Freckles – These are clusters of small pigmentation that are caused by overproduction of melanin in sun-exposed skin (face, arms, shoulder, etc.). It is commonly seen on people with a fair skin tone, and some people might be genetically predisposed to developing freckles.
- Melasma – Melasma is generally more common in older women and some pregnant women. It may be linked to hormonal changes, stress, prolonged sun exposure, family history, etc. Melasma usually appears on the face and can be quite unsightly.
- Post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation – Known as PIH for short, this sometimes occurs after the skin suffers an injury or inflammation (like acne, eczema, abrasion, chemical burn, etc.).
All these types of skin pigmentation require slightly different types of treatments and management. Depending on the severity of your condition, your doctor will recommend either topical creams, laser treatments, or a combination of both. A good post-treatment skincare regime is important to maintain healthy skin and prevent pigmentation from recurring.
MY Medical Aesthetics’ approach for skin pigmentation removal treatments in Singapore
At our aesthetics clinic, we have different treatment protocols and lasers to tackle stubborn skin pigmentation. We will customize the treatment plan according to the severity of your pigmentation and your recovery progress. With our Picosecond laser and other lasers, you can achieve a clearer complexion, refined pores, and brighter skin with no or minimal downtime.
Options for pigmentation removal in Singapore
- Picosecond Laser – Our in-house signature laser pigmentation removal treatment using pico laser with high pulse energy that breaks pigment into fragments
- Pro Yellow Laser – Laser that treats underlying blood vessels to lighten pigmentation
- Intense Pulse Light (IPL) – Using filtered non-coherent light to target pigment cells
- LED Phototherapy – Stimulate collagen production, revitalize skin cell and speed up the healing process
Contact the Doctor
Please call (+65)6873 8238 or Whatsapp (+65) 9770 8328 to book an appointment.